Try out this delicious dish of tender beef strips and vegetables in a rich black bean sauce.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Tender beef strips and vegetables in a rich black bean sauce.
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 6 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 720 grams lean beef
cut into thin strips along the grain
- 24 green beans
ends trimmed, cut in half
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 onions
each cut into 8 wedges and separated into pieces
- 6 cloves garlic
- 4 teaspoons ginger
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
mixed to a paste with 3 tablespoons water
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the rice and keep stirring until the water returns to a boil. Cover the pot with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat to very low and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, mix together the black bean sauce, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, sugar, and black pepper in a bowl.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat, add 2 tablespoons of the oil, and stir-fry the beef for 5 minutes. Remove the beef from the wok and set aside on a plate.
- Heat the remaining oil in the wok and stir-fry the green beans, bell peppers, and onions for 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for another minute, then return the beef to the wok. Add the sauce mixture and stock, then add the cornstarch paste and cook, stirring continuously, until thickened. Serve on a bed of the rice.